Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Crafting: Elmer the patchwork elephant Inspired Quilt

Sorry for the long absence!

I have been focusing on my upcoming vacation, and all the projects I was supposed to have done, but procrastinated.

Here's one such project: my friend S ordered a twin-sized quilt from me about four months ago, and one week before I leave for Singapore, I get my ass down to doing it. She wants to gift this quilt to a friend who loves elephants like I do! S told me to design the quilt with Elmer the elephant in mind. I didn't want to make it too childish as it is a quilt for an adult. But Elmer is a patchwork elephant, I have to make a patchwork quilt! The more colors the merrier!! I just hope it's not going to be too heavy. I have to pack it into my luggage.



IMG_6942

Day 1 of the Labor Day weekend:
Frantically cutting squares into triangles, only to piece them back into squares again.
I have a vague sense of futility...



IMG_6914

Day 2: First quadrant. And then 5 more.



IMG_6949

Day 3 : Quilt top is finally done. I have to go get some batting tomorrow, and some more fabric for the back of the quilt before this is completed.

I used Michael Miller's Fairy Frost Collection of 50 different colors. No, I didn't go out and buy 50 bolts of different colors. Thank goodness for Etsy, I bought 4 packs of quilting squares, all nicely cut up for me to use!



But for now, time for some well deserved rest. I need to get back to reading my very exciting Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

This has been one intensive Labor Day (pun totally intended, *guffaws*)


What did you do this Labor Day weekend folks?



7 comments:

  1. Wow that quilt is stunning! The colours look so good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeesh...what a project! It looks incredible, and I am sure you kinda want to keep it for yourself after all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, things have been real hectic lately huh? Glad I'm not the only one neglecting the Blog World! Love this gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work! what a show stopper quilt, this is really going to be an heirloom. Your stitching is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun to read about the process. The fabrics are lovely! What a great idea to purchase the squares in packs. I am sure your client will be thrilled with the end result. Outstanding work! Enjoy your trip to Singapore! Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...that is where your blogging time goes. huh? That is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa. Impressive! How about you teach me quilting and I will teach you dress pattern sewing? ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you stopping by and reading my blog! Do leave me a note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...